Tyto - Unofficial DCUO Android App

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Talon, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Talon Well-Known Player

Hello,

I recently released an Android app to the wilds of the Google Play store which has been designed to put the census in your pocket. Much like many of the web-based usages of DCUO census data, you can look up toons and view their gear and stats and such, or look up a league and see basic information on the league and a list of its members.

What sets this app apart from web-based solutions is that it has been designed to give you advice on how to hit the next tier as efficiently as possible. This advice comes in the form of which items of gear you should upgrade, prioritising mod-only upgrades over full item upgrades (buying new gear and modding it). Of course, the "best" path is subjective, but Tyto advises based on your current CR (i.e. what's the best gear you have access to) and how to hit the next tier with as little spending as possible.

You can get the app over at the Google Play store, so head over there and give it a try.

> Tyto on Google Play <
    • Like x 18
  2. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

B prepared for the negative comments, people hate the invasion of privacy
    • Like x 3
  3. Talon Well-Known Player

Any negative comments based on the information made available by the census need to be directed to the people who maintain the census. But they already know that.
    • Like x 1
  4. Talon Well-Known Player

Tyto is now also available from the Amazon Appstore, but it doesn't look like I can edit my first post to include the link so I'll just drop it here instead :)

> Tyto on Amazon Appstore <
    • Like x 2
  5. Talon Well-Known Player

Tyto users, make sure you update to the latest version (currently on Google Play); I fixed a crash and improved the menu's functionality.

Work is underway to add new functionality, too!
    • Like x 2
  6. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Great work Talon!
    • Like x 1
  7. Talon Well-Known Player

Thank you. I'm pretty excited about the next big update as it should bring a new level of convenience to the app. It's a little way off yet but I will have it available as soon as possible :)
  8. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Thanks for making an app for Android, apple is terrible. ^.^
    • Like x 3
  9. Talon Well-Known Player

Don't get me wrong; with enough interest and revenue from the Android version, I will be seriously considering other platforms on which to develop Tyto.

Having said that, my preference of Android lent itself to having a good range of test devices and an understanding of the OS and it's interface. Those were fundamental for me to create Tyto in the first place :)
    • Like x 1
  10. Not Owlman New Player

Take my toon out of your app. You have crossed the line.
    • Like x 1
  11. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

Have you tried Phonegap or Titanium Developer? Those frameworks try to make it so you develop one time and then it spits out the versions for each mobile OS. Phonegap is probably the friendlier of the two as it's very web-based. Titanium is like a non-web version of JS (with no DOM).
  12. Starbrand Dedicated Player

Intimacy of a virtual toon :D
    A pretty new concept to me... and a silly one.
    Good job, talon!
    • Like x 1
  13. Talon Well-Known Player

I have no control over the data which populates the feeds. Please raise any concerns over the contents of the census with the game's developers.

Ultimately I am not responsible for the data being available. I am not hacking the server or exposing anything which is not public. This information can be seen by literally any person who has a web browser and an internet connection.

To be honest, it's more about having the devices to test on than an IDE to develop in. Currently I'm not considering other platforms, but it is something which may be considered in the future. But thank you for that info; I've heard of a few similar things but not those two, so they'll be investigated should the desire arise :)

Thank you, Starbrand.
    • Like x 1
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Great work!
    • Like x 7
  15. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

Awesome App, great work!!! :D Thank you!

One Note:
    While looking up info on my toon, none of his style displayed. He is displayed as a pale white, bald, naked, basically faceless, Ken doll.
    Toon Name - MidKnightTitan
    Server - USPS
    If you want/need to check it out.

But, again, awesome job, awesome awesome awesome!!
    • Like x 2
  16. Prosser Dedicated Player

Great job! You got my two bucks :)

If nothing else, I like just being able to easily look at my toon on the go lol
  17. Talon Well-Known Player

Thanks, Mepps!

Thank you very much. As for your toon's image, if you log that toon in and out again, it should fix the problem. Any toon images are generated by the game and pulled from the server by the app. The app itself doesn't generate any of the character images.

However, as and when I notice these issues, I do report them to DCUO's development team.

Thanks, Prosser. That was one of my main reasons for doing this. Personally I prefer not to alt-tab to look up my toon's info or figure out the next upgrade to buy. Despite my twin-monitor setup, I am often doing something else on my second monitor already (watching a film, perhaps), so even when I'm in-game at my PC I have found Tyto useful. It has helped determine who should be primary/secondary troller on many a raid!
    • Like x 1
  18. Mathalos Well-Known Player

I just bought your app. I really like it. Nice work!
    • Like x 1
  19. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

How is it different from the free app?
  20. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

How is it different from the free app?