Staff, how hard is the melee hitting?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Black Prime OG, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Saw an earth guy using staff. Put out good numbers. Anyone else use staff melee tap tap hold hold? Any idea how hard it's hitting for?
  2. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I've heard some people say it Rivals one handed flip slash for top damage out atm, imo It's pretty good.
  3. NoPhilosophy Committed Player

Have you tried getting a 162 or 163 staff and doing the combo yourself? The numbers we get on our own characters won't be the same on yours.

Also there's a weapons guide in the guide section that gives numbers for every single combo.
  4. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Staff was my first weapon and while I like it's combos, it's lunge isn't very good.
  5. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Staff is a very slept on weapon, a gold mine right in front of peoples faces. The melee damage is quick, has a 7m range, and puts out superior damage. Just because one handed is the main gimmick, doesn't mean it's the best choice.
  6. Korlick Loyal Player

People choose One Handed because is fast. Its been a while since i used a staff. Maybe my memory is failing me, but i dont remember it being too fast.
  7. oasenhoheit Loyal Player

Can't say much about it for DPS role.
    But I'm using it on my Ice tank and the melee combos do damage to multiple targets and also help to stun opponents. Can be very handy, when you lack power or when adds got immunity against your ice-moves.
  8. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Hehe. I'm glad someone found out about staff cause it's damn good.
  9. CrappyHeals Devoted Player

Staff is ok. I try to use a variety of weapons cause i get bored with one handed but nothing beat good old flip slash. Staff is a bit awkward in some situations and also has a shorter range then one handed so in raids you can easily miss out on some dps cause you can't hit all the adds in the group.
    • Like x 1
  10. tiempo Well-Known Player

they sped up the animation on those holds a while back, and clipping it seems pretty quick, but yeah it hits hard AF, it's 2 big ticks (you read that wrong? lol) compared to one, although in my opinion, the lunge is horrible, I feel it leaves you too far away from the target, but that's debatable.
    • Like x 1
  11. TheKeefMaster Well-Known Player

I used staff for a while on my fire tank, I was pretty beastly. I switched to Fire DPS staff all Might and just mowed down mobs. The staff stuns enemies pretty regularly, the Might just helps you get off FC or FB off right in the midst of them causing maximum damage. It stuns all the enemies around you, that combined with FC juggle, you have a lot of fun.

Add a little TA knowledge and Immolation effects, you do massive damage while getting healed at the same time.
  12. L T Devoted Player

I've always used staff on my Earth, Fire, and Electric toons. I think people tend to use flip-slash because there's one big hit at the end, and people like to see the one big number instead of the two big-but-not-as-big that staff and brawling produce.

The extra bonus of staff is you can spec into weapon mastery for decent ranged damage without losing your clippable melee attack damage. Also, you can use the 4-hold to get your hit counter up for power regeneration.
    • Like x 1
  13. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

I've used 1 hand for a LLLOONNGG time. Just stick to it because I'm used to it. :)
  14. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Umm, no. I play for maybe 30min a week right now. Sorry to have offended you with such questions. I find it much easier to make a thread about a question I have rather than try and read thru all of the forums.

This weapons guides you speak of. I don't hold much merit to player testing. If we're a flawless system we would have balanced weapons, WM that don't crit with AM and so forth. I look for responses from experienced players I know. Not from a test dummy. :)
    • Like x 1
  15. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

I tried the staff and it's pretty good compared to flip slashing. I need to do an actual sparring comparison, but I'm getting the same crits I get with 1h around 50-70k ish

I can either spam the 3 tap or clip the final tap square at the end of the combo.
  16. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

Don't have damage or range of 1h. Use staff and watch your numbers drop
  17. Mazahs Loyal Player

The base numbers for Flipslash are actually just below that of Staff (tap tap hold hold combo)
    The biggest difference is speed of FS + clip is faster yeilding better overall DPS and generally better range. On top of that the lunge of staff is pretty bad.

Don't get me wrong...Staff and other weapons like Shield have good combos that you hardly see players use. But the speed of FS + range + lunge is why currently FS is the best weapon in general to use.
    • Like x 1