Nintendo Switch Crossplay - Is it still coming?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Chackan, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Chackan New Player

Nintendo Switch player here (obviously :) ).

When the Switch version of DCU came out, Daybreak devs said that crossplay was in the works for the future.

Can we still expect this? I love this game, but unfortunately the Switch server is low in players. Crossplay would make the game much more enjoyable with a bigger pool of online players.
  2. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

I think crossplay would be great. I'm not sure how many games have crossplay across every platform so I think it might be mostly up to the actual gaming companies but I'm not educated on that topic.
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

What the devs said was that they would like to make all platforms cross play. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo still have a say in which games they'll allow to cross play.
    • Like x 1
  4. Chia Death Well-Known Player

The console developers are really the only roadblock to this usually- everyone else is 100% behind it with no reservations except for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo because they just can't be happy making money unless they're 100% convinced they're getting the best deal. At least competition spurs innovation they say.
    • Like x 1
  5. Brit Loyal Player

If Switch doesn't get server merger or cross-platform play soon, Switch won't have a game. I would be surprised if there are more than 20 people logged in during primetime. I waited for over 20 minutes today just to get Stabilizers to pop. When the fastest, easiest content with some of the biggest rewards still cannot find even ONE other player, you know there is a problem.
  6. BabyBoyzim Dedicated Player

Deleted this off my sd card today. I got my character to level 19 and figured, why? I had a character on ps4 with over 400^ sp. i’d rather just wait for ps5 to play there. I got rid of ps4 to get a Switch and don’t regret it. If it weren’t for the trash sp system in this game, I may have stuck with it. With the Switches nonexistent dcuo population it wouldn’t be worth trying to amass sp. even with most of those old feats I did on PS4, it still wouldn’t be worth it. Too grindy to do from scratch on a new system. Should have allowed character migration if anything.
  7. Chackan New Player

The low population on the Switch is weird, since the game runs well and it’s the perfect style of game to play on the go.

Maybe it’s a server thing? I play on the EU server and in 2 hours of playtime I see maybe 2 or 3 other players :|
  8. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

When are you getting on? Since the quarantine period began there have been a lot more players on the Switch server. Granted many are low level and probably not full paying subscribers and may drop off soon but numbers have gone up over the last few weeks. That's weird that you're not getting a pop for the Stab Duo.
    Did they say that?
  9. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

They said that it was an option they were willing to explore

https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/guides/dcuo-nintendo-switch-faq).
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No they did not say that. If Daybreak ever had the green light they would have merged XBox with PS/PC years ago instead of merging American XB server with EU XB server. Same applies to the Switch.
    • Like x 1
  11. Brit Loyal Player

Typically I log in within 30 minutes of server reset, but I will play 2-3 hours.

I haven't noticed the uptick in population that you're describing, including things such as entire evenings where a group never forms up large enough to defeat the Thanagar bounty. I have suspected that there is an invisible barrier when it comes to queuing content where, for some reason, characters who are pre-30 and characters who are level 30 seem to be divided into separate queues. It's probably some mechanic constraint of the way that boosting/clamping works. If there are truly plentiful numbers of pre-30 characters that I am just not noticing, maybe that is the issue.

But when I see even the Watchtower empty, and Event versions of Raids and Alerts won't pop for hours on end, it certainly gives the impression of the game being entirely empty.
  12. Lord Of 5 Well-Known Player

The Lord would like to have the pc server merged with the Switch.
  13. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

I'd like to see cross save more so if I decide to go Xbox this upcoming gen, I'll see have my character.
  14. CuratorTyrant New Player

I really hope that DBG considers this. That way, we'd be able to log on from different platforms without having to restart.
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The FAQ is still correct. We remain in favor of crossplay should the opportunity ever arise.
    • Like x 7
  16. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Would Xbox be included in that list too?

Or no?
    • Like x 1
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We are in favor of all forms of crossplay, at least in theory.
    • Like x 4
  18. Chackan New Player

Are you playing on the US or the EU server?

Also, Microsoft and Nintendo seem to be in very favor of crossplay. At least most of the games that start having crossplay it’s usually between those two platforms. That would be an enormous help, I think (if the Xbox server population is higher than the Switch, which I assume it is)
  19. PrinceOfFacade New Player

The thing that gets me with this issue is that I see so many Switch players stating the low pop count and lack of effective PvP, but very few are doing anything to change it.

If we know there's little activity, why not link up and make some activity happen? We can't just expect the game to get fun, mates. We have to make it fun.
    • Like x 1
  20. PrinceOfFacade New Player

So, assuming you are at liberty to say, what are the odds of the Nintendo Switch port receiving crossplay in the future?