New low level players need help and high level players shouldn't always be relied on

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GalaxySniper, Jul 3, 2015.

1. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

Yep I said it. Majority of low levels should not rely on high level player to level there toon majority of the time and high levels shouldn't have to explain every little detail to help low levels in order for them to get stronger.
    Now before you guys rip me a new one hear me out.

A level 10 player invited me to play seasonal with him. I asked him have he ever beat it b4 he said no. I ask do you know what to do? He said no. Another lvl 10 player join seasonal that also did not know what to do. And even though I was explaining on what to do they wasn't register what I was saying, because I was explaining things to them like they was suppose to know the game already. This is completely my fault.

When I told them to stand in between the torret and egg and turn it on, they responded what is that and how do you do it. (Mind you I'm explaining by typing and not on mic cause for some reason they could not hear me.)

So I ask the lvl 10 player how long has he been playing DCUO and he said 2days. His response took me back to memory lane when I was a new player, frustrated and didn't know how and why I wasn't progressing to become a better player.

I had to tell him that that we have to quit on seasonal right now and lets just focus on getting to know your toon power and have a better understanding on your role, map, and journal and I told him I will help in the future.

After meeting this player, it help me understand why low lvl player and high lvl players bump heads.

1. Helping a low level player can be tedious and can become a big responsibility where the lower tier player relies to much on the higher tier player to progress, and this can leave a heavy burden on a vet player time where he need to progress himself threw feats, raids and farming.

2.Low level players are rising to fast in CR b4 they can grasp all the information they need to know in order to be helpful in raids and to themselves.
    To have a T2-T4 player to have the same knowledge of the game like they did off the brainiac ship is completely unfair to new players and vets as well.

On one hand, you will have vets think that T2-T4 ( even T5) players would have some knowledge on roles by now do to there CR, and on the other hand you have new players just rising up in CR just by doin missions and just oblivious on what they need to do in order to improve on there toon skill wise cause the game doesn't inform them well on what they need to do.

While the vet expects the new player to know what to do, the new player expects to be given knowledge from the vet player since the new player wasnt well informed from the game itself which probably lead to a toxic community

Both had high expectations of each other where DCUO it self should of resolve this conflict by being more informative.

This could be one of many reason why high lvl don't like to help lol level. It feel like your starting all over with the guessing game as a vet. And vets hate the feeling of starting all over when we like progressing.

So my conclusion is this. There something that needs to be implemented in the game where low levels can rely on each other more to have a better understanding of the game.

T6-T7 players have no problem doing missions with each other and they need to implement that type of feeling with T1-T4 players as well while there gaining knowledge so new player don't quit threw frustration.

Cause while new player are trying to learn the game, vet player are adjusting to the game on a monthly basis and this could be the cause of why low lvl and high lvl player don't see eye to eye

Thoughts?
    • Like x 4
  2. xxOMNIPOTENTxx Committed Player

I had a similar experience while running the Seasonal...Needless to say, no matter how many times I tried to explain what to do, they just didn't get it. I just stopped after about the 10th wipe, couldn't take it anymore.

You can explain and some will understand and take the appropriate course of action. Others will act as if you're talking to a doorknob and still do the same stuff and repeatedly fail. No way in the world a level 10 should be able to queue for an alert that requires actual strategy.
    • Like x 3
  3. SnowStar Committed Player

kudos for being helpful, level 10 and new to the game, your helpfulness even tho they were not yet understanding may have given us 2 more players with some longevity which uspc sorely needs
    • Like x 3
  4. Infyrneaux23 Dedicated Player

OP, much of what you say is true, but if someone doesn't know to click on something that has a cog over it by level 10, I can't see how they even made it that far.
    • Like x 3
  5. UltraVillain Committed Player

This is a major issue for the game as a whole, I think we all applauded the tips that were introduced into the loading screens, but that was just the start.

After a disastrous event the other day with a stream of low level players, I had to conclude only a scant few were even able to operate the chat properly. When many of us began playing the awkwardness of the UI was apparent, years of play later I think we forget how clunky it felt.... I didn't actually rate the proposed revamp, but that was probably its alien nature......a revamp or simplification (having two levels of UI basic and advanced) is still a worthwhile use of dev time imo. I personally think chat should auto select /group when you join a group and revert to previous when you leave.

But it comes to all aspects of the game and in an event of this sort, there needs to be a route to ease players into learning what to do, not just a statement made and then hope for the best as everything and the kitchen sink is hurled at them. Even in the open world part of this event the minions or adds spawn with incredible speed, have terrific aggro ranges and easily swamp players who aren't pumping out optimum levels of damage all the time while they are expected to buy a window free from interruption to press a button.....it's just too much too soon for players 20 or less imo.
  6. OnceUponATime Dedicated Player

My favourite newbie players are the ones that say - "hey this is my first time here", as soon as you arrive in the instance. I try to make sure to always mention any particular mechanics that aren't obvious and keep an eye out in case they get lost or get bogged down and need a hand. To be fair though at that point you already have a player that's demonstrated that they can communicate so they're well ahead of the game and will generally actually get something out of being helped!

Pretty much everything in game can be worked out by a couple of newbie players playing together but it so often gets lost in the faster! faster! approach to gameplay that sees many lower tier bosses (even now) burned down before they ever get a chance to interact with their mechanics.

Also. I always let people die in the sonic blast in the bat cave if they don't get out of the way... It's an important learning lesson. ;)
    • Like x 4
  7. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

If you think about it DCUO 1st impression of this game is mashing threw stuff as a solo player. So when there able to do 4 player content there thinking how can I help this other person mash stuff.

Kinda like Double dragon or Ninja Turtle II type of feel ( yea I'm old). Alot of these players arnt use to MMO team work. There use to a multi player game online where you help each other kill stuff.

So when you come from let me help you mash to stop killing stuff and tank, heal, or give me power with out mashing stuff it can be a lil disheartening to the player that felt misguided threw the game which will just lead him to be a Dps or leave.
    • Like x 1
  8. IIThe QuestionII Loyal Player

Bwahahaha yeah, that sonic blast is the "Welcome to the mechanics!!" of the game, greatly educational!
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  9. Ghostof91 New Player

In this game sometimes I mistake some level 10s for 10 year olds.:rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  10. darkscarletx Loyal Player

You are right. The devs should give us the possibility the get support gears at low levels. Otherwise, some stuff are almost impossible to do. Give us the right tools and everyone will be happy and we won't have to ask for help.
    I still don't understand they don't do anything about the seasonal instance and the annoying gorilla island alert. Come on!
    • Like x 1
  11. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

No just no.. This exact reason why People stopped subbing, and GU 47 wasn't needed. Stop complaining and enjoy the game.
  12. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

I'm not really understanding your disagreement with my perception of this game? And am I complaining or am I trying to come with a solution on how low lvl player can be informed better so it wont be so tedious on high lvl player to explain to them what DCUO should of explain to them in the 1st place.

If low levels gain more knowledge as they progress I'm sure more high lvl's wouldn't mind helping out as much since the low level player has a good grasp of the game.

This may lead to a reaction of ending segregation between high and low level players and working together by enjoying the game.

You said Gu 47 shouldn't happen. And GU 47 did help add even more segregation towards high level players not helping low lvl players.

I myself want to see low players enjoy the game with high level players with out it being so tedious. So in a way we are on the same boat.

That's why your disagreement is confusing to me
  13. pitbullb3 Devoted Player

How many objective type missions are there from level 1-10 that you have to hit a timed cog on? How many are there in the leveling process?
    • Like x 1
  14. MuTeDx Committed Player

Helping newbies is not an option to me. I helped one for a day, told him to go support at t5 for que times (healer power) and after that I was flooded for 3 days of tell after tell to help with leveling missions. I'm okay with giving advice and teaching the ropes but these guys got to learn how to hang themselves. I taught this kid old school clipping rules and made sure he had a good grasp before I sent him off. I just don't understand the mentality of carry=help
  15. Infyrneaux23 Dedicated Player

Fair enough, but how obvious is a countdown? Glaringly obvious if you ask me. Look, I went into this game completely by myself and learned everything there is to know by observation. Did I make mistakes? Absolutely. Was I a horrible tank until I got into a league and had some more veteran players give me valuable pointers? Yup. But not clicking on cogs and not recognizing a countdown when I saw one was never an issue. It's not like those are completely unique to DCUO.
  16. Immortal Kyrro Loyal Player

I tHink a simple tHing they could do that would help alot is to cut out the clunk of the default tab. By default it should not have lfg and trade. That makes it scroll so fast sometimes you won't even realize someone's trying to communicate. I cane across a t7 player that didn't know he could remove lfg from his default tab