Is it worth grinding for PVP gear?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ereez, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Ereez Well-Known Player

I've always been a more into PVE content in games rather than PVP but I'm at a point where I wanna start grinding the arena out as I feel like I'm missing out on SP that I could have. Since I started playing I've only really ran legends so I can buy the PVP exclusive styles and stuff (with a little regular pvp and some open world here and there) but I'm tempted to start working towards the top tier gear and having a go at some of the harder feats. I understand players with no PVP gear are given some sort of stat boost when they enter arenas but I imagine this is somewhat handicapped compared to a fully geared player? So I just wan't to know is it worth me working towards an end game set or do you think I can eventually get most of the feats through legends or just running arenas in with the stat boost? I'm not great at PVP but I want those feats lol

Also how does the gear system work for PVP? Are you able to buy the best gear right off the bat if you have the marks or are you required to complete each set before moving onto the next? How does modding work? I'm a complete noob when it comes to pvp as you can probably guess so any general tips are appreciated.
    • Like x 1
  2. gemii Dedicated Player

the way pvp is right now no its not worth it but if you want those feats/gear id suggest fire tanking your way to glory.

no you cant get the best gear right off the bat i believe its 96 pvp lvl -101 pvp lvl or it could be 97-101 i dont remember its one of those though. you have to work your way up 96cr - 101cr

96cr first set of gear to grind for
    97cr next gear to grind for
    98cr next set of gear to grind for
    99cr next set of gear to grind for
    100cr next set of gear to grind for
    101 final set

or you can play legends pvp which is a little more balanced than what regular pvp is and still work towards getting your gear but its still the same concept your just using legend characters instead your own toon
    • Like x 1
  3. Kid Multiverse Loyal Player

I despise arenas myself. You can always run Legends pve if you want to grind it out.
    • Like x 2
  4. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

So yeah, pvp gear goes from 96cr to 101cr. If you have no gear you get buffed to 96cr. Make sure you still have a soda cola infinite and a rookie's breakout trinket though. You have to complete each level set before moving on to the next. The gear doesn't help that much better in my experience but style feats so get it anyway.
    • Like x 1
  5. Crimson Veil Dedicated Player

Yeah, I always go w/ legends as a non PVPer....it feels a little more balanced to me
    • Like x 1
  6. Gimpy Loyal Player

No
    • Like x 1
  7. Backseid Devoted Player

You have to buy each piece of a set to move on to the next. This includes necklace and one ring.
    • Like x 1
  8. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

starting may 11th/13th I'll be doing nothing but PvP as I wont be legendary anymore. I need most of my feats from there Im like 69 /101 feats
  9. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Long time PvPr here:

It's not for the faint of heart. You have to completely change your playstyle. No sitting back and gently going through a rotation. You will need to exploit whatever advantages your power and weapon have.

You need to clip block breakers, jump cancel, and have very fast reflexes. You need to think and react fast. You need to be ready to deal counter damage (the strongest moves and combo thats possible with your power as soon as you block, or block break someone) at the blink of an eye.

Most PvErs can't handle it and you see it all over the forums and in-game. No one likes PvP....but there's a small population of us that only play the game for PvP.

Let's say I'm in a 1v1 and I block break someone as HL....I will clip my weapon combo (let's say 1H flurry) with fan.... go into claw and clip that claw with handclap to grasping hand or the tray claw. Then I will clip that claw with spikequake or or chompers. All of this has to happen really fast or my claws can be blocked.

Sometimes I'll just skip the weapon combo and go right into my claw rotation.

Doing this once will bring someone from 100 health to 50 or even 20-30% depending on crits. It's basically a one-shot and it's cheesy as heck and that's why people hate PvP.
    • Like x 2
  10. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Yeah that's all well and great except 90 percent of the time the latency is so bad all of those reflexes are negated. Fun block breaking someone for nothing to happen because hes already doing something else buton your screen hes still blocking.
    • Like x 4
  11. Mazahs Loyal Player

People dislike pvp for 1 main reason.
    It's completely BROKEN

If you want the feats you'll have to deal with it
  12. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Gotta love having your lunge countered by a projectile because you blocked 2 seconds ago, or having it blocked after you hit them.
    • Like x 2
  13. Gimpy Loyal Player

Latency times r a bi**h, even in PvE.
  14. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

You're not wrong but it's much less annoying there, unless presumably you're a tank?
  15. Gimpy Loyal Player

OR

Quantum:mad:
  16. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

How ironic it must be to have mastery over time and yet suffer even more than everyone else from latency.
  17. Gimpy Loyal Player

LOL
  18. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Yes, that's another problem out of 1,000. Latency and lag. There is a clear difference when I PvP at 2am versus 6pm. When I play later my responses seem much more crisp and on point. But other times I can barely land a BB and that is when you get into the territory of basically trading taps and rolls back and forth trying to chip the other person down enough to use a 35 or get a final bb or block to kill them. It's super sad.
  19. BƖack Dedicated Player

Arena? Don't.. you will lose a lot of nerves doing them.
    Legends? Well compare them to Arena fall out pretty well, but also need changes.

Result of this is: NO - Zero fun of playing PVP in DCUO.
  20. Winter Sabel Dedicated Player

You should be able to buy the 97 set first and skip the 96 set. The 96 set use to be the FTP 1500 cash cap set.

When buying your sets of PVP gear the next set does not open until you buy every piece of gear from the prior set. Every piece weapon, trinket, rings etc.

I play arenas & LPVE and I can say:
    The grind can be mind numbing and very frustrating to say the least. I can guarantee you one thing. If you like the PVP sets. They are worth every frustrating moment. You will be one of the few that can run around with a style and really say that you earned every piece of gear.

The biggest thing that you have to remember is there are a ton of kids there that have no clue what sportsmanship is and the multitude of issues that revolves around connection speeds, PS3, crappy PC's, to many other things that basically boils down to whoever gets their clicks to register first wins.