FOOTBALL: Preseason!

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Faust74, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Faust74 Loyal Player

[IMG]

Man, it sure feels good to say "FOOTBALL!" again. Technically, the preseason started last week at the Hall of Fame game, but nobody here cares about the Steelers vs Vikings. ;)

So anyways. A lot of NFL preseason games today. Personally, I don't care much about Preseasons games. It's mainly rookies trying to earn a spot in the roster. Most starters and 2nd string guys won't play until the last 2 games of the preseason. But, at least it gets the NFL Football talk started.

Now to the Most Important Team and the Only the Team that Matter... to me :p
    Texans are on HBO's Hard Knocks. At first I didn't like the idea and figured it would be a distraction, but after watching an episode. I actually really enjoyed the 1st Episode.

Texans' preseason may actually be interesting this time. We have No Established QB and so it's a fight for the starter spot between Mallett and.... Hoyer (bleh). I pray that Mallett wins, but considering that O'brien knows these 2 QB inside and out, maybe he can work his magic on them.

Arian Foster is out for 4-6 week, not good. The Texans great running game made up for the poor passing game. With No A+ RB to depend on, Mallett or Hoyer will have to Step-Up their game greatly. It's hard to gauge how well the Texans will do this season. Other than Vince Wilfork, Texans didn't sign any big free agents that greatly improved the Team. Offense is Up in the Air with No Established #1 QB and #1 & 2 receiver. Defense is still solid at least, looking forward to seeing what havoc that JJ Watt and Vince Wilfork will cause.
    • Like x 1
  2. dngnb8 Devoted Player

3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Miami/Chicago and Detroit/NY Jets will get my focus.

It'll be interesting to see what the Miami D can do with Suh as a part of the team, even if it's only for a couple series at most. At the very least it should give other teams pause, so hopefully the offense improved enough to take advantage of that.

As for Detroit, the loss of both Suh and Fairley will be felt on defense, so the d-line will have to step up. They still have great linebackers and an okay secondary. One thing that I have seen in articles is that this is the second year for the new schemes on both offense and defense, so hopefully (a very popular word for teams in the preseason LOL) there will be some improvement on both sides of the ball.

Gotta wonder how much Geno Smith getting his jaw broken will get mentioned in the Detroit game, though.
  4. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

Damn it, wrong football.
  5. Ninja'd Dedicated Player

Jets/Lions should be a decent game with a revamped Jets team. (Thanks to GM Mike Maccagnan for doing more in one offseason then former GM John Idzik did in two years.) It is also going to be interesting in watching how well prepared the team is with new HC Todd Bowles. As for the QB situation, the Jets have strangely improved the position in one day. Expect to hear about the sucker several times during game like if Ryan or Bruce Petty (4th round QB) makes a mistake. The absence of Suh with hit the Lions very hard so it will be interesting to see how the Lions plan around their recent departure.
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Very true.

I kind of lucked out with Suh going to Miami, so I can still follow his play and enjoy it. Plus I get the bonus of knowing that there's now going to be two times a year that, barring injury, Suh gets to terrorize the Patriots offense. :D
  7. Dynagirl Committed Player

Bah!!! This whole season is already turning sour with all these Los Angeles talks. I don't know why for the life of me people want to go back there. It's like they expect there to be an audience waiting for a team except, I don't know, there aren't any as proven by the history of LA with the NFL. I'm just done with the whole thing. BRING ON PROFESSIONAL RUGBY!!!
  8. dngnb8 Devoted Player

[IMG]
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, after watching last night's game I can see why there's been some buzz about Ameer Abdullah during Lions training camp.
  10. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

GO TEXANS!

IA ARMY
  11. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

No, the only Football.

Opened a can of worms there...

IA ARMY
  12. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Oh thanks I keep forgetting I want to printout this seasons Seahawks schedule.

[IMG]
  13. Ninja'd Dedicated Player

Yeah he did seem like he improved. Also the WR Greg Salas is usually a preseason warrior just so you know. For the Jets I noticed a few things.
    1) 1st string seemed rusty and lack pass rush without Wilkerson (out due to hamstring) and Richardson (decreased playing time for being a idiot).
    2) 1st string move the ball down the field well and would have score if TE Cumberland (why is he still on the team) did not have butterfingers.
    3) Sheldon Richardson proves how stupid he was with his prior incidents (failed drug test (not steroids) and getting arrested for speeding 140 mph with 12 year old in the back seat.) when he literally pushed the backup center aside (center was injured as a result) and hit the QB.
    3) 4th round pick QB, Bruce Petty is definitely a project. He should not start an NFL game this year barring a apocalypse.
    4) RB Daryl Richardson should be cut.
    5) Aside from Sheldon Richardson and possibly Jace Amaro almost all of former Jets GM John Idzik draft picks suck. I guess you can say they were #Idziked.
  14. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

YAY! Football! The one and only reason I still pay for cable.
  15. Faust74 Loyal Player

Normally, I don't care about the preseason, but this time I'm interested. Texans actually have a real QB competition for the starting positions for a change. Unfortunately, it's between an unproven QB (Ryan Mallett) that showed some great potential in one game, but then received a season ending injury the next game and another QB that IMO is barely serviceable as a QB (Brian Hoyer).

Don't know which of them will Start in today's game or if they'll split time on the field. But, I am going to trust Coach O'Brien on this one. He did take a team that was 2-14 to a 9-7 record the following seasons almost making the playoffs, with pretty much with the same building block as in the losing season. O'brien made Fitzpatrick look like a decent QB, whom to me is just another Matt Schaub just with better running legs. So the man may actually be a Quaterback "Guru" after, maybe he can mold Mallet or Hoyer into a good QB.

Hopefully, I see some magic in today's game. GO TEXANS!
  16. Faust74 Loyal Player

Texans won their 1st preseason game against the 49ers.

Surprised to see all 3 Texans QBs get playing time and all of them scored as well. I know they are playing against rookies, but their passing looked really good. Nice solid throws that hit their mark. The running game on the other hand didn't looks so good. One play the Texans went for it on 4th and the end zone just 3 yards away and Alfred Blue failed to run it in. Didn't even come close. The Defensive line look decent and it looks like the Texans may actually have a good safety.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

As a side note, I do have to say I like the nice little touch added to the fields for this season. Since it's going to be Super Bowl 50, the 50 yard mark numbers on all the fields are painted yellow/gold instead of white.

Nice little salute for that particular milestone. :)
  18. dngnb8 Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  19. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

I don't get jazzed for the pre-season and I pretty much tune it out after the first half. My Cards, while I'm optimistic this season, failed to address several holes on both sides of the ball. They let Darnell Dockett go, which I think is a mistake only in that they'll miss his leadership(he was out all of last season with a blown out knee) but letting Dan Williams walk was stupid as he is a pretty good run stuffer. They didn't add any kind of an edge rusher, something that is sorely needed. With Darryl Washington's future in doubt, they did little to address the linebacking position. The secondary looks good with Buchanon and Mathieu healthy and in their correct positions although I would have liked to have Cromartie back.

On offense, still haven't addressed the QB of the future and didn't bring in a viable veteran backup in case Palmer's twice repaired knee, or any other body part, goes south as I have little to no confidence in Stanton or Thomas. The offensive line got much better with the addition of Iupati but losing Massie for the first 4 weeks might force rookie DJ Humphries into a starting role. The receiving corp looks good and with a healthy Palmer, Fitzgerald should see the ball more and Floyd needs to step his game up. My biggest concern is the running game. While drafting David Johnson was a good move, Ellington is proving himself not an every day back and signing Chris Johnson is a bit of a head scratcher. Judging by our schedule, I see 10-6 as a real possibility but not enough to catch the Seahawks who got much better by adding Jimmy Graham. We're still the #2 team in the NFC West and are a top 5 NFC team easily. Should be an interesting season.

As for the rest of the league, the AFC is pretty much wide open. I'm interested to see how Andrew Luck does with Andre Johnson to throw to and how TY Hilton does with less coverage. They also added Frank Gore. Denver is going to take a step back losing Julius Thomas. The Steelers, a team I thought was poised to start declining, look scary on offense. Even losing Brady for a few weeks, NE is still the class of the AFC. I look for a repeat of the AFC championship from last season only this time Indy will be hosting. As for the NFC, it comes down to Green Bay and Seattle. After them, it's wide open. I think people are vastly overrating the Eagles. Eagle fans are all giddy after winning a useless pre-season game in which the best QB in football played only a few plays and no one else played. The Cowboys are overrated as well. They have no running game to speak of. There isn't a team in the NFC south who is any good. In the north you have GB and no one else. So, as I said, it's GB and Seattle and that's it.
  20. dngnb8 Devoted Player

Yep, teams will be able to run effectively on the Cards if nobody steps up. The ILB position is incredibly weak and TE's will run free on them again.

Burns and Gambo have not been kind to The Cards this year. Gambo has a way of saying "You Suck" that is funny