Electricity Needs Help

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by JWellens, Jun 2, 2020.

1. JWellens Level 30

So I've been away from the game for a few years and just came back a couple months ago. I'll get right to the meat and potatoes...Electricity needs help. Both the DPS and Healing side struggle when compared to the other powers in this game. I don't mind working for the damage/heals, that's part of why I like the power, it's not easy mode. However, when I see other powers get by without trying and I'm over here working my butt off and not even keeping up with other DPS' and Healers, it gets frustrating. So here are some things I was thinking might help balance out Electricity's DPS and Healer side (please keep in mind that I’m not saying ALL of these should happen):

DPS
    There should be more options for a loadout with Electricity, so far there's basically 1 loadout that's viable for AoE and 1 for single target. I’m not including Iconics or Movement powers in this line of thinking. Powers should be self-sufficient on their own with Iconics and Movements being optional.

• Tesla Ball - Why doesn't it do decent damage on one target? My suggestion is that if it's hitting a single target, have it scale like this: Base hit (x) - 2nd hit (x+10% base) - 3rd through final (x+20% base). Or to simplify: if the base hit is 10k: 10k - 11k - 12k though the final hit. That makes it a more viable move in a single target loadout. I love that Electricity is focused on dots, but there has to be a balance.
    • Electrogenesis - It should always hit the enemy you’re targeting and not the two closest targets. When you’re targeting a boss and a bunch of adds run out it’s pretty annoying that it’ll attach itself to the adds who die in a few hits. Now you’ve wasted that power and have to wait for the recharge. So change it to hit your target and the closest enemy. Also, the animation is too long for a DoT move.
    • Electroburst - I get that the range is intended to be short due to the burst damage, but I get the same damage with Voltaic Blast after a PI application. If it did a crazy big burst then I’d get it, but it’s completely pointless when the same damage can be done with a move at full range (not to mention has a 6 second cooldown). I thought the point of having moves that hit in melee range is that they do significantly more damage. Either increase the damage or increase the range.
    • Overcharge - I would think this move would be great for a single target DPS loadout but it really isn’t. The damage is so weak when compared to something like Tesla Blast. I suggest one of two things. Either give it a DoT to keep in line with Electricity’s DoT gimmick, or increase the base damage of the hit so it’s worth stacking. Because even when factoring in the explosion damage, it’s not comparable to what Tesla Blast can do.
    • Voltaic Bolt - This is such a weak hitting move. The DoTs aren’t worth the cast/power/PI application when Arc Lightning does it all better, not to mention applies the PI more reliably and heals you. If the Dots balanced out to the same damage as Arc Lightning’s burst then it’s a viable PI application move. Lastly, same with Electogen, the animation is too long for a DoT and same with Tesla Ball, the damage is too low on single targets.
    • Polarization - Static Push, Spark Barrage, Electrostatic Bomb (debatable), Shockwave...these would be great moves for a single target loadout if the damage wasn’t so bad. Spark Barrage and Static Push should be max range and the base damage for all four (except maybe E-bomb) need a bump. It’s just a weak PI to go with, buff it all.

Healer
    This is where I think Electricity needs the most help. With one huge problem affecting it: Power Consumption. It’s a bit surprising to me that for a power which focuses so much on DoTs that it’s not also strong in HoTs. But let’s go with Electricity primarily being burst healing, it makes it unique.

• Galvanize - This move used to be awesome. Right now I can’t even justify using it in Alerts (arguably where it should shine the most) because the waves that pulse out to heal are weak. The HoT has always been laughably low but the joy of that power was popping it and the whole group jumping back up to full health. It was one of Electricity’s best healer moves. Buff the heals on this bad boy and let me feel confident again.
    • Electrogenesis - Much like my suggestion to have it hit your target in DPS role, I think it should hit the farthest group member when in healer role. Help me keep my tank alive and spread out those heals.
    • Ionic Drain - This move just sucks. The healing from it is so weak for such a long cast time/animation. We don’t have Hots to set up to keep healing going when we cast this, so the base heals it gives need to be increased. Make it like the other channeling powers with consistent heals throughout and maybe have it apply the same bonus 45% heal that Bio-Capacitor does.
    • Bio-Capacitor - Drop the cooldown to 15 seconds. Why is it so long when Electricity needs burst heals ready to go on the reg?
    • Invigorate/Group Transducer - I get that there was a reason the shield supercharges were changed to be 100% because of artifacts, but for sake of argument I think either one of these needs to be a 50% supercharge. Invigorate should absolutely be 50% when supers like Regeneration for Nature are 50%.
    • Power Consumption - This is the biggest issue facing Electricity. Relying on burst heals means you have to pop heals a lot more often which means using more power. The fact that speccing into power is almost a “must” is crazy. Acknowledge that because Electricity heals differently, its power cost needs to be adjusted. Galvanize shouldn’t have the same power cost as Cross Pollination when I have to hit it more often. Recover shouldn’t have the same cost as the other moves of its kind (in other power sets) if you have to pop it twice as much as other healer powers. I know Electricity healers who take power arts just to keep their power up, that’s not okay.

So that’s all I’ve got, I’m sure there are other great suggestions people will have, but these are mine and I would love the Devs to reevaluate Electricity’s place in the game.
    • Like x 6
  2. ClowninAround Well-Known Player

I can agree with everything you said except one point, Tesla Ball. I'll say that I too wish it were better for single target, but it would become too strong of a power. Any change made to its damage will creep over to the AoE portion and since it's known for not splitting damage, that would be crazy. And when you add in how it builds supercharge in its current state, things would get out of hand. Maybe if they fixed it's damage splitting they could buff the base damage and it could be used Single and AoE.

Everything else though I totally agree with. Especially Galvanize.
    • Like x 1
  3. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

I really hate to be "that guy" in this thread, but try to understand where I'm coming from. I've had my electricity character since 2013. For DPS, I've seen it bounce back and forth between 'eh' and crappy, to not so crappy, to keeping up with (very closely) with nature on multiple adds. For healing, I've seen it bounce all around with the various updates.

Galvanize: this move is much more awesome than it used to be. I agree, power costs need to be adjusted, but I use galvanize after every weapon combo (and it proves it's worth to me).

Electrogenesis: the suggestion is more of a QOL improvement than anything, sounds good. I'm used to moving all over the field when healing already, to line up my galvanize with the next heal. So jumping into the tank area to get Genesis, then back out, it's sorta common to me.

Biocapacitor: the cool down reflects the fact that it has "damage cushion" (meaning if a player drops hp to the level needed, they get a burst heal automatically). I'm happy with biocapacitor.

Super charges: I don't even bother using them, QOL improvements, but I keep heals and shield in my loadout.

Power consumption: as said, I believe it needs adjusting. Being basically required to run demon fang, is not cool.

DPS: Tesla ball, works great in my opinion. Doesn't split damage, which means it's great for multiple adds.

Electrogenesis: yes, needs to hit the primary target, and one other. I agree.

Electro burst and overcharge are just too weak, period.

Voltaic Blast: yes, needs more help than I can say.

Polarized: does crap for damage except Electrostatic bomb. I use that even without pi.

Conclusion: Healing doesn't really need much changed, power cost, yes, but the rest is fine. Some QOL improvements, sure, just don't weaken it. DPS is more aoe focus: would be great to have ST options, but it's manageable.
    • Like x 3
  4. JWellens Level 30

I agree, it would need to be specific to single target and resort to the default damage only when other targets take damage from it. Though I'm sure that's not an easy thing to implement. Just an idea to get the ball rolling on a potential single target use for the move. If there were other single target options this would be null and void.
  5. JWellens Level 30

Yeah I've also been strictly Electricity since its DLC dropped and seen the ups and downs so I'm with you. I don't think you're being "that guy". Other ideas and opinions are absolutely going to happen and they're good. I wanted to respond to a few of your points.

Galvanize - I don't see what you're seeing with Galvanize. The heal pulses definitely used to be much greater than they are now. It could be that people's health pools are much larger so it's not as reflective, but when I came back to the game and tried it in raids I was shocked at how weak it was compared to what it used to be.

Bio-Capacitor - I definitely understand why it has a longer cooldown, the damage cushion is nice. However, the way I'm looking at it is that when I use it in something like FBE, that damage cushion is used up in a matter of seconds so it's basically two heals every 18 seconds, I don't think that's very efficient for a burst healing powerset. I don't think lowering it to 15 seconds is that much of a stretch or makes it OP. Perhaps a better alternative is to have the cushion last longer, not be a one time use thing.

But again, I'm not saying everything I listed needs to change. Those QoL improvements for healing would make a huge difference. And I definitely don't want it to be weakened, nor do I want it to be OP. I don't want people flocking to Electricity because it's the flavor of the month.
    • Like x 1
  6. I3eleth Well-Known Player

Great Post. 100% agree.
    • Like x 2
  7. Remi King Active Player

I couldn't agree more with all this, as an electricity dps i would like to state my opinions about electricity but cba, you did it way better than i ever could've.
    This is why all the powersets should be looked into and tweaked atleast once in a while, i definitely think it would be healthy for the game and the combat would feel more fresh.
    • Like x 1
  8. Thunderstrikke Well-Known Player

Agreed that like half the PI tree (polarize) is awful; it should be strengthened or given electrified PI. However, that said, I think electric is a very strong DPS power; I'm no speedy fingers-clip guy, and I was vying for or the top DPS in the Metal 2 raids much of the time (granted, multiple targets on the bosses, so it leans AOE). As for "other players not even trying", it's most likely due to artifact variance (I'm guessing if you've been away, your not running with maxed artifacts). On playtesting, stripping myself of all 3 of my 200 level artifacts leads to a 45% decline in damage. for comparison purposes, those 265 skill points you dump into might add up to about 8% total damage (and that includes the 10% multiplier on base might). So yeah, 200 artifact guy is going to trounce you without putting in the effort. If electric, I'd highly recommend running the strat and trans cards (and building those up as much as possible).
    • Like x 2
  9. JWellens Level 30

I think it's a comparatively strong DPS when you're facing hordes of adds. Something like Atlantis Throne Elite's last boss with consistent adds is where Electricity can shine. I don't think the DPS needs a ton of changes, some Quality of Life improvements like Electrogen hitting your target for example. It's more the single-target stuff I'm focused on. My suggestion for improving Voltaic Bolt isn't to improve the damage of Elec overall, it was to make that move a viable option for PI application. So you can choose to use Arc Lightning or Voltaic Bolt.

I have all my arts at 180 and I know that someone at 200 is going to put out more than I do. I'm also not comparing just myself to other powers, I've gotten input from other Electricity users. The "effort" phrasing is just for flare. You're definitely not wrong about it being a strong DPS power, but I feel that's only under the right circumstances. I appreciate the response though, I like hearing other opinions.
  10. travelingtheory Well-Known Player

Its hard to make compelling powers that arent just variations of lightning bolt for dps. Still they can try harder. However electric speedster is probably the most popular combo in the game, shortcomings or not and they make pretty good healers.

A channeled shock power seems like common sense but i dont recall them having one. they can spark hands, lay down shock fields, force fields, polarize and electrify. They can certainly work with the powers
    • Like x 1
  11. Brit Loyal Player

Wow. No joke, Electricity is my favorite power. I love Electricity's DPS; it's my favorite in the game. I like (not love) Electricity's healing; it feels really fun and involved, though occasionally it seems to suffer from the Herding-Cats effect if your group won't position themselves correctly. But yeah, when you start talking about multiple Melee DPS and people dropping tons of henchmen and pets, it can really take off.

I'm constantly waffling back and forth between Nature and Electricity with the power changes. It seems to vary literally almost every Episode. I see an Episode like Atlantis that is really add heavy and stuck in tight corridors and Electricity just dominates. Then JLD comes around where the bosses have very few adds and the spaces are generally more open and spread out, with fights being really mobile, and Electricity lags behind. Metal I, we go back to being more add-heavy boss fights and smaller rooms, and it's Electricity again. And so on.

Electricity definitely doesn't seem as Single Target or Kite-Combat friendly, but in those wave fights and massive adds situations, it's pretty darn hard to beat. If they wanted to do some minor tweaks to make it a little more single target friendly, I wouldn't complain. But I wouldn't want some massive overhaul that's going to change the rotations and mechanics.

Nature may be a bit more powerful in the DPS front, but I find Nature DPS decidedly un-fun. Every time I swing back Nature way, it means that I am exclusively Healing for that Episode. Not a big fan of the transformations at all. Hyjacking my movement type AND my weapon type AND my appearance styles is a trifecta of "Ugh. I don't care what the numbers say; this is not what I wanted to play".
    • Like x 2
  12. Illumin411 Loyal Player

People who run with electricity players need help...SEEING! That damn yellow cloud blocks everything!
    • Like x 1
  13. JWellens Level 30

Too true, it's tough seeing where Lex is facing with that cloud up in his face. I was in a group with two Electricity DPS' and one of us had to swap out the cloud because we just couldn't see when the rockets were coming.
  14. Darth Piper Loyal Player

So for your DPS loadout you are mixing power interactions? You have a choice of Electrified or Polarized. If you're mixing the two chances are fairly high that you are not maximizing your damage. Electrocute works with both, Electrogenesis has no PI... so take those two out of the equation. Beyond that, Electricity using an Electrified PI loadout can put out some MASSIVE damage in a room full of adds, especially if you're using the correct artifact combination. Electricity also has a benefit in that you do the same amount of damage whether you are up close to your enemies or at max range from them... so you get to be like the Field Artillery and hit them with long-distance death. :)

As for healing, try going with a superpowered spec and make sure you intersperse some weapon attacks in between power casts because that will help regenerate your power too. Don't "over heal"... meaning, don't spam stuff unnecessarily. Make sure you have the correct artifacts for the loadout you're using as well as the correct tactical mods.

Honestly, I don't have too many problems with electricity as-is other than trying to find a good single target loadout... but since it's on one of my alts I'm not too worried about it... and from what I understand this is where a precision-based loadout works better.
    • Like x 1
  15. L T Devoted Player

Electric DPS was actually well balanced right after the revamp. Then Atlantis came out, with its dozens and dozens of adds, and Electric was undisputed king of dps for those raids. They got Tesla and Arc Lightning nerfed.

Now content doesn't have screaming hordes of Atlanteans, so Electric tends to under-perform.
    • Like x 2
  16. Remi King Active Player

Electricity is just good in numbers, if you watch closely in raids u'll see that electricity is not doing that much damage to an individual enemy, it's strong only if you combine the damage done to all the enemies, that's why electricity is weaker against low packs of adds and single target.
  17. TurbulenceDCUO Well-Known Player

Electric is amazing both as a dps and as a heal. Even its single target is above average when used correctly. Check out the homies YT, TheOnlyGen. I do agree the polarize tree is useless but that's the state of might dps nowadays. Revamp in no way shape or form gave us more options.
    • Like x 1
  18. Quantum Rising Committed Player

LO's in heal and dps?
  19. JWellens Level 30

I appreciate the tips but this post isn't about what I'm running. The basic tips you're giving, while helpful to newer players, doesn't really address what this post is about.
  20. JWellens Level 30

This post is about what I'm running, it's about making adjustments to the current abilities.