Brawling vs Two-handed once and for all!

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by AshyLotion, Jul 2, 2014.

1. AshyLotion New Player

I like being brutish characters using slow methodical weapons when I play mmos/action games so for my ice tank which would be the better weapon overall you think factoring in moveset, dps, etc...?

*Bonus question* I never tried one handed but it seems to be the most popular choice for some reason, why is that? Also can someone detail what control effect each "hold" move has on it. (i.e. [] hold [] on brawling stuns the enemy.)
  2. Pew New Player

Home Run with teh 2handed 2x4 style!
  3. FameYack Committed Player

A very Tough Question in a very Tough Time

I definitely consider the animation of the weapon per se,

My suggestion is check some videos to pick the one that looks more appeling to you, both are good for what you want
    Both helps tons in CC and You will see there is not a big difference between each other as there is in what you enjoy most to look alike,

A Superman/Hulk/Thor Like monster look better when Brawling (IMHO), a Big Hammer/Sword are cool as well but i didnĀ“t like too much the animations

All weapons mini guide:
    http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Types

BW Mastery

2H Mastery
    • Like x 2
  4. FameYack Committed Player

• Like x 1
  5. Black Prime New Player

2H into arrow storm for range dps, troll, heal. Best combo to use with prec neck. Hit counter after 2 combos is in the teens.
  6. Octantis New Player

With animation speeds normalized, the idea of certain weapons being slower than others isn't as drastic as it use to be. That said, both weapons (Brawling and 2H) are very different as far as play style goes. The benefits of one over the other tend to flip once you start getting Weapon Mastery for them, though. I'll see if I can detail it, so be prepared for a long post.

This is Pre-Weapon Mastery

Brawling has one of the unique features of have follow-up Hold attacks for each of its Hold combos (melee ones, specifically). Like other weapons, each Hold attack is dependent on a number of initial taps (ie. tap x1 + hold, tap x2 + hold, etc.). The initial hold attacks do some interesting crowd control effects (usually single target), and the additional follow-up attack takes advantage of the helplessness of the target and usually knocks them on their rear. There are mainly single-target attacks with only a couple AoEs (specifically Hammerfist and Haymaker).

To start off, Brawling's Lunge goes into Ground Pound as the first follow-up attack, which sends the target on their rears.

Next, after a single tap, the Brawling's hold attack smacks the opponent senseless, stunning them, with a strike from both hands. The follow-up Backfist knocks them back.

The Tap x2 + Hold, Hammerfist is a radial AoE, that makes the opponents faceplant. The follow-up Punt launches an enemy backwards.

Finally, the Tap x3 Uppercut launches a target into the air, and the follow-up Haymaker strikes an AoE cone that knocks all enemies backwards.

For Two-Handed, there are only 3 main combo strings: the Tap x5 ending in Clobber, Doom Spin, and Mega Smash. Granted Mega Smash is made of up 4 total Hold combos, that are each, in their own right, formidable, but they all make up a single combo string. This makes Two-Handed basically a one-trick pony and very predictable. It also lacks any stuns, relying instead on knocking it's targets around. However, the AoE abilities are fantastic.

Doom Spin, the Hold - Tap x2 - Hold, is by far the best hit-generating melee attack in the game and therefore one of, if not THE best power regen moves for melee range. The is a radial AoE that's very quick to pull off, hits hard, and juggles all enemies backwards. It has the bonus of allowing movement while the animation is going, as well as fully cancellable via Blocking or other attack taps.

Mega Smash, the Hold x4, is made up of the Lunge, Big Scoop (a pop-up), Home Run (a cone AoE knockback with a very big range), and finally Mega Smash (a powerful cone AoE with limited radius around the character as well, that knocks all enemies back).

The following is regarding the Weapon Master of Brawling and Two-Handed

Brawling has access to Two-Handed's Home Run combo which follows the Brawling Haymaker, and has 2H's Doom Spin that follows Brawling's Backfist. Now I won't go into detail about those two moves because I mentioned them above.

NOTE: the WM combos are Hold attacks as well, essentially giving Brawling follow-up attacks to all its follow-up attacks.

Now, Brawling also has access to Martial Arts combos for its ranged attacks ....
    Shuriken Storm (tap + hold) hit's for about 6-7 total, which with Brawling's incredibly low power regen tier thresholds (the lowest of all the weapons), makes this specific combo the absolute best in the game for personal power regen, despite the damage being relatively low in comparison to other WM combos. However, it is a cone AoE with a very wide spread, and stuns while the numbers tick above the targets' heads.

Enhanced Shuriken (Hold x2) is a high damage knockback against a single target.

Two-Handed didn't really get any follow-up attacks with Weapon Mastery. Instead, they got the standard Tap x X + Hold combos that other weapons have by default, with combos from Martial Arts. I believe the first is Knee Launch (I could be wrong on this one) which is a simple single target pop-up, but the Tap x3 + Hold is Spinning Punch, which is a radial AoE knockback.

It also got an additional finisher option for Home Run other than Mega Smash: by holding Ranged instead, the character performs Bow's Flurry Shot, which is a great combo-builder for 2H, even though it already has Doom Spin. Flurry Shot, is a single target stun, the first stun 2H has, even though it follows after a massive knock back.

Additionally, its Ranged Hold (Hammer Throw) can be combo'd into an arrow shower by pressing an additional ranged hold. There's no CC from this ability, but it is a very nice ranged AoE that hits the area around the target (also to note that Hammer Throw is a linear AoE, so it's possible to do double AoE damage with this WM combo).

Opinionated Judgements
    Brawling has a lot more combat tricks to it, both with and without WM combos. Two-Handed's damage is arguably better, but the bigger toolbox of Brawling just gives it a lot more versatility. The addition of an easy-to-get-to Doom Spin with Brawling's Weapon Mastery gives the weapon the major AoE attack it was previously missing, which the Home Run follow-up to Haymaker is so slow and requires so many button presses that it's rarely used even in PvE due to it being so easily counterable. Both melee moves are equally risky as they are ridiculously vulnerable to interrupt, requiring the character to spend a lot of seconds with the counter icon above their head. However, the ranged attacks it gains from WM are quite beneficial, probably more so than any other weapon.

With Two-Handed, the damage bonus that Home Run receives just from having the Weapon Mastery skill purchased puts its damage nearly equal to (if not better than) Mega Smash, making the former monster attack completely irrelevant, especially when Flurry Shot is just better overall. The Martial Arts combos are weak, and only really serve as a means to do easy WM-boosted Might attacks. In the end, the only benefit 2H has post-WM is its arrow shower, which makes 2H a viable ranged weapon. However, that also means that it's melee potential is currently dwarfed by other weapons.

In the end, both weapons are equally at a disadvantage in melee when compared to other weapons specifically with regards to pulling off WM combos. Without WM, Two-Handed is clearly the more damaging of the two when coupled with Clipping, but Brawling has more options in its toolbox (not just for CC abilities, but the ability to go into an interrupt move by choice whereas 2H requires all its combo builders to be interrupts as well). Brawling has the least chance of the two to be interrupted, basically. But post-WM, Brawling definitely has the better options as the additional attacks are just additional follow-up attacks that don't impair Brawling's toolbox-style of gameplay.
    • Like x 4
  7. Octantis New Player

Additional Post to Discuss One-Handed

I have an Armory build that uses One-Handed, and I like the weapon, despite being an avid fan of the slower weapons like Brawling and Two-Handed. Why? Basically because it's fast. In the world of DPS, faster weapons are always better. In the DPS world post-WM, the weapons with the fastest WM combos allow for quicker empowered Might follow-ups.

Example:
    Brawling's Home Run Mastery from 2H requires the following combo: Tap x3 + Hold x3. This is a very long combo, but hits extremely hard because of it.

One-Handed's Dual Flurry Mastery from Dual Wield requires the following combo: Tap x2 + Hold x2.

Now, Brawling's CC abilities in the above mention combo are as follows (and in order of sequence): pop-up, AoE knockback, AoE knockback. Note the initial hit is not an AoE.

1H's CC abilities are: AoE knockback, AoE knockback.

To analyze the two, 1H hits the same number of targets, but does so much quicker. The extra tap and extra hold in an already-slower fighting style means Brawling's follow-up Might attacks that utilize the WM crit bonuses will occur less frequently than 1H.

Of course, this is strictly speaking in terms of melee. Now, pretty much all weapons' ranged weapon attacks are pretty normalized.

But essentially, faster weapons like 1H were picked mainly due to the ability to hit the bigger numbers faster than the slower weapons, even though the slower weapons' numbers were actually bigger. Ideally, this meant that all weapons over the same period of time would do the same amount of damage, but post-WM the weapons that have the single-tap + hold combos do better DPS due to the more frequent use of Might attacks and the bonus crit damage from WM.

Brawling just doesn't have any quick melee WM combos to spam Might moves. To do so, Brawling has to stick to ranged damage, which lacks any sort of good AoE. This makes the weapon good for support roles (due to the power regen) but poor for DPS.

2H fairs a bit better in the regard than Brawling, and has a much easier access to the Might cirt bonus from WM combos, and has a much better ranged attack (ie. it's an AoE), than Brawling does. 2H is a little more on-par with other weapons post-WM when used as a DPS weapon, but its combos just don't use the weapon's full potential like Brawling does.

In short, both weapons have their flaws post-WM, but 2H seems better with DPS while Brawling is better with support. Both, DPS-wise, I would argue fall behind other, faster weapons such as 1H with specific regards to how quickly they can access the Might crit boost from WM combos.
    • Like x 2
  8. AshyLotion New Player

Wow didn't expect such detailed answers guys, thanks a bunch! I guess i'll just roll with both haha. (forgot about armories o_O)

I love this game and the community seems so helpful. :D
    • Like x 1