Toxicity/swearing/inappropriateness on consoles

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Comixfan, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attackfrog Active Player

Here in america, every suburban 10 year old with a botoxed/xanaxed out mom and a checked out/workaholic-but-really-just-uses-any-excuse-to-stay-away-from-miserable-loveless-home-life dad has an xbone or a ps4.

Millennial+entitlement+internet anonymity+worthless parents+Mic & headset = ....well...you can do the math.

I stay away from any social console game (especially f2p) at all cost due to not wanting to deal with those oopsies.

PC is a little better because mom spends too much on botox and Xanax for dad to afford a decent gaming PC for lil (insert trendy suburban name...connor...skyler....madison...etc). Console is cheaper.
    • Like x 2
  2. SkullGang Devoted Player

You do know 30+ year olds count as millennials also ? I'm tired of people using that word without knowing what it means. Just say very young people.
    • Like x 1
  3. Dene Devoted Player

Was just talking about this today, with family.. Millennial means born in like 82/83 until 94/95.. so they could be 35/36 years old lol

Generation Z or The Linkster Generation is Teenagers turning adult right now - born Mid 90s
  4. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Yea where is all this "only console" coming from lol? Who started that because it makes you look bad. Im a huge liberal and even i know not to say things like "all conservatives" because it's not a cogent argument.

People argue on forums all around the globe..... Which use pcs..... Ever heard of stormfront?
    • Like x 1
  5. Hraesvelg Always Right

Well, I never thought I'd see a Stormfront mention on a comic book game forum...
    • Like x 3
  6. Dene Devoted Player

I just looked it up, thinking it was a video game - I just read 1 post.. freaked out and ran LOL
    • Like x 2
  7. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

back when the internet was young i used to love playing literati online. it was basically a scrabble type of game. word games are fun.

i remember one morning logging in and setting up a board when i noticed someone was typing offensive remarks into group chat. this guy had all the major bases covered. every swear word combined with every racial and bigoted slur you an think of without being coy.

went in, played my game and cam out to see him still at it. started another game.

a couple of hours later as i was wrapping up my friend was still at it. at that point i was wondering if he was a program. i get that all of us can go to dark places but to sustain so much anger for hours on end...whatever this persons excuse its just not worth wasting time on over the internet. you aren't going to accomplish anything.

this was over 20 years ago if that helps put things in a better perspective.

of course a website that allowed you to type in your tiles to come up with every possible word combination of those letters killed the game for me but thats a moral for another day...
  8. High Troller Loyal Player

Pubg is so much worse. There's a lot of "China number one" in voice chats.
    • Like x 1
  9. Hytch Well-Known Player

Not excusing racism or abuse but perhaps you would be better off growing some thicker skin? I have been discriminated against in real life and online and yeah, it sucks. But I am not going to make a big stink about it and complain and complain. I just ignore them and carry on with my day.
    Life is too short to get all worked up about silly things like how people act in an online game. I believe the bad folks eventually get what is coming to them. One way or another, the universe tends to work out the way it should.
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

It's online gaming...toxicity is part of the landscape for better or worse (well worse). Partially because some people really racist ignorant jerks, partially because people are trolls and are looking for the best way to get others revved up. Going in to trade and shouting the 'N' word or launching homophobic rants works for either of these groups. It's annoying for sure, but if it really bothers you, turn on the profanity filter...it catches most of the crap. Between that, ignore list and sliding people's voice level down to 0 It's not that bad. My kids play and I altered their chat window settings so Trade and shout chats are not in their default tabs as well as have profanity filter on. Yeah, it cuts out some of the wanted traffic too, but the crap talk is almost nothing, only coming up when someone in the group has a potty mouth.

The devs will never and probably couldn't fix it if they were inclined too. You are on your own.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  11. Shark Dental Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  12. Dedikated6 Well-Known Player

ignore and keep it moving pretty simple
  13. Proxystar #Perception

Tupac was an idiot. There's absolutely no good version of the word its racist and derogatory.

People that use the word are ignorant and think what they're doing is empowering themselves when all they're really doing is empowering the people that want to opress them by calling themselves exactly what those who seek to opress then want them to do.

You can't just change a few letters around in a word and just make up a new meaning.

I know the English language evolves but trust me not in that manner.

From what I've experienced since pc/ps merge the console players are far far more vulgar and abusive than pc players.

Perhaps it's an age thing since the computers are more expensive I don't know what it is; they just are though.

Perhaps it's a culture that's just come about from exactly what the op is saying though console players can't be bothered doing the Web report whereas its no hassle to pc players, therefore a level of fear keeps players more in check.
    • Like x 1
  14. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

But lets be honest... They have a profanity filter for a reason. People are going to curse in any game. Yes the language tends to get out of hand, but that’s up to you with how to deal with it. The game starts you with the profanity filter on so most of the time it’s really up to you on how to deal with the cursing and inappropriateness. I can tell you though that DC has by far one of the worst communities I’ve been involved in but at the same time I loved the community because I got to know a lot of people over the years that have come and gone who were all pretty cool.

I don’t believe it’s an age thing because I see people who claim to be in their late 20s or 30s engaging in this inappropriateness that goes on. It has to be a console thing though because most of the PC guys I never seen them act crazy or have weird names

The only true way to combat this little issue is to either ignore them, turn your profanity filter on, or just don’t play the game lol hopefully you don’t take the third option. :)
  15. FadedAngel New Player

Actually, I think it more likely that there's equally toxic PC users but that they have more options to empty their spleens. This leaves them a little better behaved in-game.

Incidently, DCUO's system req's are low enough even older machines can run the game without working too hard.
  16. Comixfan Committed Player

The filter is only there to block the swearing. It does not give permission to swear.

Neither the filter nor ignoring the swearing will solve the problem, especially not on consoles.

Daybreak obviously didn't put any thought into the reporting system when they created the console versions. It's still the PC design which is not a good design for consoles.

They need to revamp the reporting system for consoles to make it less cumbersome/time-consuming & more intuitive for players to be able to report others.
  17. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

If I were to guess the reason as to why the report system isn't more simplified, they probably think players will report others over the silliest of things, resulting in customer service getting swamped with spam.

Like it or not, you have the tools to combat vulgar language, and if customer service banned everyone that cussed in this game, at least 1/4 of the active population would probably be gone.
    • Like x 1
  18. Hytch Well-Known Player

Why do people care so much about cursing? It is 2018. People use curse words. Regardless, they are just words. They only have power over you if you allow them.

Plus, you have ways to block the cursing in the game right now. If you turn the filter on then you never have to see those mean old curse words again.
    • Like x 1
  19. Cable Committed Player

Welcome to the wonderful world of DCUO. Is the chat absolutely toxic and linked to cancer in adults? Absolutely. But I honestly find it a kind of fascinating study in human behavior. I say put on your hazmat suit and enjoy the show while you're waiting for queues :D
  20. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

Cursing isn’t really an issue... I’d say at least 70% of DCUO’s population curses. Banning people or reporting them for inappropriate language does seem silly unless you’re using the racial slurs such as the dreaded “n” word with the a and/or the hard -ER at the end. Inappropriate language exists in just about every game other than online childrens games. The characters in the game themselves drop the casual “damn” word.

I’m going to say this one last time.

If you can’t handle the cursing, just turn on the profanity filter or ignore everybody that spits out a curse word in the chats. BOOM cursing problem solved. Banning people over a curse word just kills the population more than it does in helping the community.

Plus making reporting much easier for consoles will result in an increased number of false suspensions/bans such as what happened to me before I quit.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.