A Mental Breakdown V3

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Greenman_x, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Errorcode1058 New Player

Coming back to Mental after a long time away from it.

Wanted to build a dazed burst loadout that would avoid canceling WM crits. Keep in mind that with the advent of Max DMG we can now stop being so snobby when it comes to iconics if they are effective and especially if they fit character theme.

Feedback to improve effectiveness would be appreciated...

DPS
    Gag Glove (Applies PI & refreshes while capitalizing on dazed. Also has a very short cooldown), CK, PK, Terrorize, TK Shield, and the Judge Ghost SC.

Troll
    Gag Glove (Applies a PI, Stuns 3-4, shovels adds towards tank), Phantom Flames (applies PI and defense debuff), Psychic Empowerment (Recharge), Speed Drain (SC), Grandeur (aggro Dump), and TK (POT)

With this Troll loadout I should be setting up PI for other Mentals, Gadgets, Earth, Light, and Fire. To some extent, Ice and electric may be able to capitalize as well.

Q: How should I rotate powers in the DPS loadout to maximize effectiveness...or is GG just a really bad idea?
  2. SoulflyMike42 New Player

Your DPS loadout I looked at. This is my current loadout and rotation while using PI effects quickly with great damage.
    1. Mass Terror 2. Menace 3. Phantom Flames 4. Pyrokenisis 5. Psychic Resonance/Terror Tendrils 6. Terrorize

Rotation for Adds:
    Mass Terror clipped in Menace, WM, Phantom Flames, WM, Psychic Res/Tendrils, repeat.
    Rotation for Single targets:
    Mass Terror clipped in Menace, WM, Phantom Flames, WM, Pyrokenisis, WM, Terrorize, repeat.

No valuable SC yet so I would take those ghosts out. P.S. Terror Tendrils needs to be fixed with WM, so I would use Psychic Resonance until then.
  3. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Letting MT play out and then clipping Pyro with Menace after a WM combo will get them both to crit. With the 60% mod, I've been seeing 4k crits on both consistently in the raids.

MT > WM > Pyro/Menace > WM > Shock > WM > Shock > MT > WM etc

Also, for adds, why Resonance if you're not using dazing devices? Unless you are and didn't post that. Just curious, seeing as Shock would net you better damage with a terror based loadout
    • Like x 1
  4. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Nothing in Mental will cancel WM crits totally, only Terror Tendrils and Mass Terror won't crit in the window. They wont stop other things from critting. Making sure you knew that.

I really didn't like GG when I used it. The damage I saw was pretty weak to say the least, but if you're intent on using Dazing then there really isnt any other option from range.

Also, I'd drop the ghosties SC as well as TK shield.
  5. MentosTroll Loyal Player

Gag Glove is the only AOE PI applicator, so if you want to use it, it's fine. That loadout works, keep using it.
  6. SoulflyMike42 New Player

Terror Tendrils is supposed to be going with WM crit but since it wasn't splitting damage they have currently negated that until fix. Yes I have always known MT doesn't have crit window. And Resonance hits hard with PI other than Daze. Any stunned encase etc, will make it hit hard. My Resonance is hitting for 2200+ on adds so I don't see how its not hitting hard for a AOE. I will try out Shock
  7. SoulflyMike42 New Player

Psychic Resonance = Dazed, levitated, knocked back, knocked down, juggled, rooted or stunned enemies take additional damage
  8. RADIODIALS Level 30

I also run as a Mental Troll and my load out goes as follows

TT ( POT), PE (Recharge), Bastion, TB (Defense Debuff) , Pyro (Healing Debuff) , and interchange Grandeur and Mass Terror.

Hand Blaster to Explosive Shot Mastery (Primary Weapon)

Rotation goes as follows-
    Weapon Mastery (TT) cw PE, WM > TB clip PE, WM > MT clip PE
    something around those lines. I usually end up putting out a good amount of power and i am always around 1.2-1.5 mil out in damage as a support role.
    The DEFENSE debuff is a must IMO.
    Precision and healing are optional depending on content.
    Hope that helps
  9. MentosTroll Loyal Player

I don't think all these PI actually stack, like some people would like to think. It uses 1 PI to boost its damage, that's it.
  10. SoulflyMike42 New Player

I never said they stacked my friend. I said that Resonance hits hard with much more PI than just Daze effect which is what Greenman suggested.
  11. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

That post was for Errorcode. He made it sound like he thought MT and TT canceled out every crit in the window.

Resonance does hit relatively hard, my only issue with it is you can't reliably set up the PI unlike terror with Shock. Knockback, juggles and whatnot happen all the time, but I prefer to set up my own PIs rather than having to rely on the "right place, right time" scenario.

They don't stack, that's just all the PI's it works off of. If you can't set up dazing, those other effects will grant more damage. It's just not as reliable as hitting Mass Terror because you're relying on the Tank/Trolls to set you up instead of yourself and if they get immunity they can't have any of those status effects on them.
    • Like x 1
  12. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Always keep a POT in your loadout, no matter what. If the "lead" troll goes down and you dont have a POT, then it puts you at an immediate disadvantage.

I see you said you're dropping ML and are looking for another large AoE stun. The 2 closest we have are Tendrils and Mass Terror. Tendrils is a plain old stun and MT panics, but hits immediately.

I'd also drop TK shield for Phantom Flames. A defense debuff is always welcome to throw on bosses.
  13. RTHERMITE Well-Known Player

I have a mental dps toon that has been on the back burner for awhile and I am now getting him leveled up, I am at cr 58 at the moment, as far as mods in the gear, should I go straight might , might and power and might and health or precision and might, precision and power and precision and health because of wm, any info would help, right now I am using precision based mods, but mental is a might based power, just want to know what route to take that will benefit my toon in the long run.
  14. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I always go Precision, but either way won't make or break anything. Prec/Health, Prec/Power, Prec/Might.
    • Like x 2
  15. Joykiller Dedicated Player

Thanks for the tip. The issue with TT is that if I'm not the main troll, I risk overriding his POT. Mass Terror would be great but it costs quite a bit. I've since added Phantom Flames as the defense debuff though.
  16. WickedRhys Well-Known Player

The difference between using phantom flames on terrified enemies is not that much more than if the enemies werent terrified i have only tried this in troll role, but i doubt it would be much different for the dps side of things either.
  17. MentosTroll Loyal Player

Who else here uses Terrorize? I think it's back to being Mental's best Power.
  18. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Doesn't matter about TT. Always, always, always have it on your loadout. You don't need to use it, but if the main troll gets lazy or dies, you'll be glad it's on your loadout. Even if you throw it for your mass stun, you're fine. Ovewriting POT 2-3 times a raid is okay as long as it isn't happening every time the other guys throws it.

Mass Terror does cost alot, one of the reasons I dropped it from my loadout a while back.
  19. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I'm still not. I haven't really used it since WM came out, but was thinking about trying it as a replacement for MT on single target fights.
  20. Zal Zan New Player

i have been Mental for awhile now and after testing a multitude of loadouts i still think terror is your best way to go.

My loadout follows: Mass Terror, Menace, Psychic Shock, Pyro, Thought Bubble, and Phantom Flames.

I used to use Terrorize but i believe it has been nerfed. i remember hitting Wonder Woman for 11k-14k with this back when T6 first came out. Took i into the new raids highest i have seen has been 8k. i know they have more defense so i went back to TD and only hit WW for 8k also. PS seems to work better because it is burst damage and i have hit for up to 7K with it on a single boss in the new raids.

I would like to try a dazed PI and GG seems interesting, ill have to try that one out. but with those stacking of the dots and the burst damage from PS and PF you can do tremendous single target and AOE damage.