Test Server Install (Fast Method)

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Shadowdragon, Oct 17, 2015.

1. ChickeNnBiscuiTs Level 30

crazy cant claim gifts but i can pay/ use replay badges to get styles and feat points.
  2. Cordelia Well-Known Player

Anything that is account-wide can be used across the servers. So if you have replay badges, they can be used on EU but remember, they are being used and you will not have them on the US server. Same with gifts and stuff. Anything you use on the EU server will be used up on the US server.

So, you can claim gifts on the EU server, but you won't be able to also claim them on the US server.

Any replay badges you use on the EU server you can't use on the US server.
  3. leefylee New Player

hi, I've just recently installed the test server on my pc but when i try to connect to it i keep getting authentication issue <0x0100>

anyone got any ideas what to do or what I've done wrong ?
  4. Penryn The Gadgeteer

The Test server is currently offline.
    • Like x 1
  5. leefylee New Player

that would be the reason i cant connect to it then :)
    thank you.

i been trying for a couple of days with no success
  6. Eve YouTuber

Mepps Please Please Please pin this thread. This is very important information for PC Players who play the game through steam or the website launcher and want to save themselves time downloading test server.
    • Like x 1
  7. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I probably should have found this post earlier. I’m on day 2 of test download on an old laptop thru wifi. At 7.8% now, moving right along… only 14hrs to get there.
    • Like x 1
  8. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

Whenever I need to reference this (or anything that's user generated content), I search Google for "DCUO Test Server Installation." This is usually the top or 2nd result. Google will be better than any forum software's index.
    • Like x 2
  9. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Tried just a straight download. Regular game works fine, but Test never gets to the character screen and says Authentication issue 0x0100

Any thoughts on what to do? Or is test server down?
  10. Eve YouTuber

Test is up but It's locked so It's getting updated atm
    • Like x 1
  11. Dene Devoted Player

First now FYI :) - and all I typed was "DCUO Test" lol
  12. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

Added Windows 7 repair instructions for KERNEL32 launchpad errors to original post.
  13. RTX Well-Known Player

Let´s also add the even faster method, go to directory "C:\Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\DC Universe Online"

Open "LaunchPad.ini" under LaunchPad.ico with Editor or WordPad and add the line "environment=test" so that it looks like this:

[Settings]
    appName=DC Universe Online
    id=dcuo
    width=890
    height=621
    environment=test

Don´t forget to save the file (CTRL+S)
    To get back on Live-Servers you remove the line "environment=test" and save again. Do this method only, when DCGAME.exe is not running.
  14. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

I wouldn't recommend that because Test & Live don't always have the same asset sets and development branches. It's safer to keep the two in different directories. It would mostly work, but you may end up reporting bugs that only you see.
  15. RTX Well-Known Player

It will be same as if you would use the "Test-Server Client", due to you downloading/patching the game data files same way with the added line. That means that it´s impossible "to report bugs that only you see".
  16. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

If you pointed the file to test you would download test assets to your single directory. If items were the same name but updated, you would now have the test items overwriting the production ones until the next GU. A conflict would be rare, but can still happen. If it were OK to share the same install assets then they wouldn't have set up the test server install to duplicate everything. One installation gets touched a lot more than the other.
  17. RTX Well-Known Player

I will try and explain it in an easy way, why that´s not the case or wouldn´t happen.

First we have to understand what happens when adding the line "environment=test", with that we basicly change the launcher version same as you would when changing between EU/US in the top left corner of the LaunchPad.

What that does is telling the LaunchPad to contact their server and ask for how the game files should look like for that version (date, version, size etc.)

So for example:

We have Live-Server game files, the launcher scans the game installation and sees:

LiveServerGameData1 - "Oh based from the list i got when contacting the server, i have to replace/remove/add it to" -TestServerGameData1

And that happens for each different file.

When removing the line, the launcher is US or EU and contacts their server and ask for the live server game file list and scans files again:

TestServerGameData1 - "This doesn´t fit the file information i got from the list, i have to replace/remove/add that to" -LiveServerGameData1

The only time when this method could cause issues, is when you have DCGAME.exe (Live-Server) running and you add the line in background starting the launcher or vice versa:

LiveServerGameData1 - "Let me change this file to" -TestServerGameData1
    LiveServerGameData2 - "Oh this file is in use, i can´t replace/remove, i will stop patching"

Meanwhile the game still running, while some files successfully been patched to Test-Server version, if they now would be loaded the game probably going to crash or you would get other issues. However, after the game is closed and you click on retry on the launcher, it will continue replacing game files accordingly, it won´t let you start the game if the files doesnt match their list.

In any case, you will have the same game files as other testers and you probably understand now why its impossible to get any issues by adding/removing the line.
  18. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

That's true since it's doing the check with each startup.

I still recommend keeping 2 environments though. If you have your live server without ever toggling, most startups would just do the check an not write anything until a GU. If you toggle daily between the two you're writing/overwriting a lot more on the assets that got modified with the same filename. Generally you don't want an INI modification with almost each usage either.