Inactive Characters Should Forfeit Names

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tskales, Jul 24, 2013.

1. xhalur Well-Known Player

Same responses from me on this as the similar thread found here: Inactive Characters Should Be Deleted...

2. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

changing the stipulations doesnt make it any better.. no one should ever have their name taken away not even given a free respec token in compensation.... sorry you cant have the names you want..you keep saying this isnt about your lack of creativity then why is this so important to you ... ? you want something someone else has so in order to get it you hope they are forced out of it? you keep saying its not selfish but it is... it screams of selfishness and greed.... i get that there are people who for whatever reason made the character played for a bit and never came back thus far...but they shouldnt be penalized cause you or someone else wants their name and cant have it...
    • Like x 7
  3. Tule New Player

Be original, problem solved.
    • Like x 3
  4. Corrupted Ertai New Player

Not crying to anyone. I am posting sensible unbiased reason in a QQ thread and you don't like it because it supplants your opinion. Look at the nice long string of other people who have told you that it either can't be done or shouldn't be done. IF we call both your threads a moderate sampling of the community at large and take their opinion into account then we can assume that this is a bad idea and not only should it not be given any more thought than it has already, but should be outright dropped and forgotten. I did what any rational person would do. I called for an end to something nonsensical. The same way I would call for an end to anything else ridiculous and useless (deserter penalty for example).
    • Like x 1
  5. Tskales Well-Known Player

It bothers me because all i see are characters with numbers and Xs in their names, when the names they wanted are currently lost and unused. So yes, this has nothing to do with my ability to come up with a name, and everything to do with other people being unable to come up with a good name. What i propose would help to change that.

If you don't like what i propose, then you don't like it and that's that. If you say it's because i'm missing out and that it's selfish to make suggestions, then you clearly have nothing to contribute to the discussion.

I'm not stopping you from disagreeing. If you'd paid much attention, you'll notice i haven't challenged anyone on anything other than what they're saying about me, or correcting them about they're interpretations of this idea.

I'm happy for the issue to be discussed, whereas you are upset and are crying for the mods to stop the discussion.
    • Like x 2
  6. Vismund Cygnus New Player

No.
    • Like x 1
  7. LootNinja New Player

No love for F2P people lol
  8. Zuse Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. Corrupted Ertai New Player

You see all of these names? And where are those people then? Why aren't THEY the ones here asking for this? Because they know better and you should as well. It's not selfish to make suggestions. When it becomes apparent in a VERY short amount of time that NO ONE likes or supports the idea and you keep pressing it to further a very transparent and selfish agenda..... then it's just sad. Like a child who wants a toy. QQ until they get it no matter what anyone says or does. This same persistent QQ style thread ruined transmute, fireburst, and Weapon of Destiny. Three things the entire community would view right now as a huge detriment to the game. All because whiners and criers wouldn't let it go.

Just stop. You don't want people to contribute to the discussion. You want people to validate your own personal rationalizations and you ignore or mock anyone who doesn't. THAT is the definition of childish and selfish behavior.

EDIT: Has nothing to do with you creating names you want and everything to do with other peoples ability to create names they want? That is the biggest bold faced lie I might have ever seen on these forums.
    • Like x 1
  10. Tskales Well-Known Player

So now you're trying to make out that i'm the one being childish rather than you, simply because you don't have the maturity to cope with opposing ideas. You're also accusing me of trying to stifle discussion, when it is you that cried for the mods and told me to stop(when it isn't up to me who posts in this thread or what they say).

I'm not sure what you want me to stop. I'm not going to make another thread about this, and this thread will go on for as long as people want to discuss it. You might not like that, but that's the nature of an open forum.

If you want me to provide a summary of the feedback received, then i would have no problem stating that there are more people opposing the idea than supporting it so far.

It isn't a lie, because i can work around it, and i have done. Most others can't, and that's what i'm trying to address.
  11. EP Ice Loyal Player

I disagree with this logic based on the fact that there are players out there whose job require them to step away from the game for a while (ie.. Military) whether they are F2P, Premium or Legendary. Should they have their names taken because they haven't played in a while?
    • Like x 1
  12. AV Loyal Player

Hence why there'd be a time frame, as I posted before, like 1.5-2yrs.
  13. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

id say the majority of the people with numbers in their names .... are names like spider-man123 or superma883 they were already uncreative to begin with ....

so you are saying it bothers you to see people with "genericname123" and that you are only looking out for them... you are not by chance also looking out for yourself cause you want a specific name that you know for sure has been inactive for at least 6 months or longer and it annoys you they arent even using a name you want? its not about that at all?
    • Like x 1
  14. Maxx_Watt Loyal Player

They need to add a space for a 3rd word in the name
  15. Corrupted Ertai New Player

Your unwavering opinion is what bothers me. I was open to the idea to be honest. Until I thought about it for 10 minutes and realized there is no possible way to create a valid set of criteria for who loses their name and who doesn't. There is no "just right" time period. There can't be a character lvl consideration because of storage toons.

Then I started to consider actual implications of designing and implementing this idea. Long, expensive, unprofitable process for SOE. They would never green light this.

I looked at this from every angle to try to rationalize it. Nothing. Why don't you see it? Everyone has bad ideas. I had one that gave me a kid from a very terrible (but hot) woman once. Why can't you just let yours go?

I am done with this. I am a father and every father knows to just ignore a whiny selfish child because they are unreasonable and any argument will never end. Try not to ruin something else about this game after I go.
    • Like x 1
  16. Tskales Well-Known Player

It really isn't.

There are names i have tried to use, and could not. I tried to name a character "Grey Geist", and he would be the the equivalent of Batman. A super normal type who relies on stealth, martial arts and gadgets. The name was taken, so i thought of words relating to "geist" or "ghost" as it means in English, and i came to "Grey Haunt". It's the same principle, and it actually sounds a better i think.

I was forced to think outside the box, even though i was already doing so, and that highlights what the problem is. I might have come up with something better as a result, but another 3 years and i would've been completely stumped. That isn't just my problem though, it's a problem for everybody who wants a proper superhero name, and will get worse in the future.
  17. Tskales Well-Known Player

What unwavering opinion? I've hardly done much to argue in favour of it, other than place it on the table for others to comment on. I've explained what my idea is, and why i've proposed it. People who've misinterpreted it i've tried to correct them, and those who've attacked me or tried to shut down the discussion, i've challenged.

The topic is here, and it's not going away until everyone stops commenting on it. I'll stick around for as long it's here, because it's my topic. Why wouldn't i post in my own topic?

If you want to talk about how bad an idea it is then go for it. If you want to attack me or try to stop the discussion then i'm going to say something back, especially if you act like a baby over it.

One indisputably good idea is for you to take some time out, seeing as you can't have a discussion of ideas and act like an adult at the same time.
  18. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

grey ghost was from batman the animated series and i can see what you were trying to achieve there and thats cool..but most the people you are trying to help simply arent that creative.... and dont really care that they had to add numbrs behind their name... im betting if you actually took the time to ask the people you are seeing and made a list at how many people it bothered and how many people it didnt..the no's would out weigh the yes' . It's really not hard to get creative on this game and or even lack creativity for names all the names arent used up yet.... example just yesterday i made a villain sorce toon.... i first wanted and figured it would be taken "wayward wizard" it was taken so in about 5 mins i tried a few others ... wretched wizard was also taken i ended with wretched warlock..i like it ...it fits the characters look it might not be the most creative name but its a name with out numbers which i too dont like but thats a personal preference.... and two days ago i wanted to make a new earth toon .... i wanted a very "silverage" type name.. i came up with tectonic teen and it wasnt taken ... and finally i wanted to make a "batman" i wanted his name to deal with darkness and ghostly theme..... i came up with the aphotic phantom... im just saying the creative names are out there people dont need to lose their names in order for someone else who wants to take the time to actually think of it... eventually someday maybe most the names will be taken but thats just the breaks....i still wouldnt be infavor of making people lose their name cause some one else wants it
  19. Tskales Well-Known Player

Well, it is because they aren't that creative is why i'm suggesting this. I suspect they wouldn't do much to think outside the box as we have, but i'd still like to give them some options which are currently unattainable.

DCUO will likely be around for a long time, and in another 3 years even the more creative minds will have problems.
  20. Archsprite Well-Known Player

Also, this widens the pool of names available for new characters, but Omega Man834923, Frost Siren4823847 and Star Hawk100 will still be running around... I don't think SOE is going to be handing out name-change tokens to everyone with a numeral in their name...
    • Like x 1